Wishing on Europe

We are all called to renew the European Parliament by the end of May 2014, which by electoral standard means very soon. Not many countries have begun to wake-up their electorate to the “Event” and European Parties are still philosophizing about their suitable candidates.

However, 99.5% of the electorate have a nebulous idea of what the EU is about, the remaining 0.5% reuniting those hovering around Brussels’ corridors and arguing about what it should be. If were not enough, in the present crisis citizens confuse globalization hardship with EU hardship, often attributing the whole burden to the latter.

In a speech that I recently gave to a last-year class of pupils about to enter university I took the chance to ask everyone what they meant by European Union; a single contribution is enough to synthetize the bewilderment typifying the population at large:

Pupil: the EU comprises the countries sharing the Euro”

Me: how many countries?

Pupil: 28;

Me: they are 17 the others using their own currencies;

A second pupil: I though the EU was much larger, have they an aggregate name?

A third pupil breaks in: Western Europe.

Which European Union are we going to vote for, given that the Euro-countries supposed to become a Federation of States share the same name as the enlarged European Union common market?

The answer is still at a conception stage inside the corridors of the Berlaymont building in Brussels or, possibly in Strasbourg where the Parliament meets 12 times a year or, may be in Luxemburg where the administrative offices are based.

The EU Commissioner Günter H. Oettinger earlier in July said “This way of governing Europe has become unsustainable.”

Well and good!

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn3
Author :
Print